"Bringing together local talent to associate learn and actively participate in the creation of cinema-tics."
Some thoughts on our Mission Statement
Meeting time and date to be set!
We are trying to get a meeting time and date set, so far we have had 1 response for the 27th of January for the positive and 1 for the neg.... I want to try and have a meeting time for as many interested parties as possible, but even if I am alone THERE WILL BE a meeting!! LOL. So if you are interested in joining us for meetings, please follow the link to help set the Meeting Date!
The suggestion to have short film contests and screenplay contests is awesome!! It made me think that eventually we could even have best actor, actress, etc. awards for our local talent, and who knows eventually have an open contest for off-islanders to bring their work and share it with us on the Island!
Now I realize this is in the future, but I believe in dreaming big, and setting goals, as Sally from 3rd Rock from the Sun said, "if you want to punch someone in the nose, aim for the back of the head...." ....well maybe that is a little extreme but you see what I am saying, lets get our ideas on paper and bring them together, we will need people to head up different projects and teams to make them come true.
Some ideas that come to mind....
So this morning I decided that we should start talking about ideas and workshops we could have....
1.COMMERCIAL ACTING WORKSHOP There is a difference when you are acting in front of a camera, marks that must be hit, talking into the camera without looking into it, and also speaking to the audience by talking directly into the camera. There are rules and techniques that we can share and practice.
2. CAMERA USE WORKSHOP Learn how to get the most out of your digital camera, learn about angles, lighting, and more.
3. IMPROVISATIONAL ACTING. Learn how to act and react to your fellow actors with improv games.
4. EDITING WORKSHOP. Learn how to use an editing program, (we use PowerDirector13) and get a feel for the art that is editing.
5. SOUND RECORDING AND EDITING. Learn the how and why of recording sound for a movie, from removing back round noises to adding special FX to the sound track. Practice voice overs for post production work, commercial work and animation pieces.
6. MAKEUP WORKSHOP These workshops will cover straight camera makeup, old age, and horror techniques, for the camera actor and for those who yearn to be a makeup artist.
7. THE IMPORTANCE OF STORY TELLING Whether you are a writer, actor or director, the story is the MOST important part of any Movie. The great thing about video is that the story can be told with words but more importantly by showing the audience what is happening, with images, emotions, and sound. Everything that you see in your head when you read a book, comes to life on the screen, and making that happen takes practice.
8. WRITING A SCREENPLAY This workshop will cover the required format for any screenplay. We will discuss the needs for the directors & actors and the need for story-boarding a production.
9. DIRECTORS WORKSHOP Interested in directing? Find out what is involved in putting together your production team, finding the story that is right for you, and how to audition your actors for the screen.
Well that is what I have for now, let me know if you have any ideas to add, or materials to share for these workshops.
Have a great Day!
IMP Giving Wings to Fledglings
Gather together, this is a place for those of us who aspire to create films and videos for people of all ages. Whether you are an actor, writer, cinematographer, production assistant, special fx artist, makeup artist, editor, or Director or just aspire to be one, here is your new home.
As we gather new friends, we will plan meetings and brain storming sessions to flesh out this new community. So get our your thinking caps, pencils, and paper, dust off that screenplay, organize your equipment and lets get this party started!
John & Penny Fowkes
Writers, Directors, Best Friends!